New EYFS Starters 2020/21

Extra help available

Extra help is called SEN Support and will happen if your child’s needs and difficulties have a significant detrimental impact to their progress and learning over time.  The level at which they access extra “specialist” help is decided by the school and is dependent on local government advice guided by the Code of Practice.

A Group Education Plan (GEP) or an Individual Education Plan (IEP) is then drawn up.  This contains specific, measurable, achievable and realistic targets. Moreover, it outlines appropriate support or intervention programmes and who will be the additional adult leading these, if required. The SENCo is also informed and provides a “Provision Map” of all the various interventions and support that may be appropriate across the school. If child's provision includes outside agency help such as from a Speech therapist, a Pupil Passport may also be drawn up. This summarises what a child needs all the time to access learning. A template of this document can be seen below.

If a child’s needs are to the degree that their learning is very complex and/or severe and they are supported individually almost all of their time in school then we may ask the local authority to carry out an “Education, Health and Care Assessment”. This is a very detailed assessment based on views and assessments of parents/carers, the school and a range of professionals. The child then may be issued with a “Education Health and Care Plan”.  Parents have a right to ask the local authority to carry out these assessments themselves, although it is usually best if it can be carried out with the support of the school too.  Education, Health and Care plans are only appropriate for a small number of children.  Your school SENCo or an independent representative from the SEND Information Service (formally Parent Partnership) will be able to help you on this. At this stage alternative placement and transition to another school may be explored, including places within our own Moderate Learning Difficulties Unit.  Guide on the criteria for this are provided by the Local Authority and will be shared with you when appropriate. 


Hugglescote Community Primary School

Hugglecote Community Primary School
Ashburton Road

Tel: 01530 832721